Monday, October 29, 2012

There goes the view (cont)

It's 2:10am and I can't sleep and out of curiosity, I decided to make myself useful and do my own research on that parcel of land infront of our flat. I don't know nuts about buildings plans what so ever but I'm sure in this era, Thanks to Google, you can find almost everything you need to know online. 

First stop is to HDB website. In my own personal opinion, I find HDB website not so organise. This is because I tried to navigate through and I learned nothing. (mainly because I do not have the patience to click through all the layers) but I did check out BTO (Built to Order) sales page and nothing found there. 

I then recalled my husband saying something about how I can actually check with URA. So my second stop is to URA (Urban Redevelopment Authority) 

Voila... got it! The URA masterplan for 2008 !. It's smacked right there on the first page. So easy to find.


So what does this shows? 
That piece of land is for residential ! Period.



What is that 2.1 or 2.8 refers to?
After much reading and googling, this is what my 2:30am brain found out. 
The 2.1 or 2.8 or 3.0 refers to GPR (Gross Plot Ratio). This means ratio of the gross floor area of a building to its site. It specify how high the building can be (how many people you can squeeze into that small piece of land)

For that parcel of land, from the masterplan, seems like developer can build up to 24 storey high. 



How they come up with 2.1? I have no idea! But someone explained in detailed what GPR is in a forum which I find very interesting. You can read it below and the actual link is here. 


Answer Posted on Sep 7, 2009
Hi Anwarp P,

I hope the following helps:

Definition of Gross Floor Area

3.1 All covered floor areas of a building, except otherwise exempted, and uncovered areas for commercial uses are deemed the gross floor area of the building for purposes of plot ratio control and development charge. The gross floor area is the total area of the covered floor space measured between the centre line of party walls, including the thickness of external walls but excluding voids. Accessibility and usability are not criteria for exclusion from GFA.

3.2 URA reserves the right to decide on GFA matters based on the specific design of a development proposal on a case-by-case basis.


Basic information required for computing gross floor area

4.1 Site Area

The site area is the area of a development plot measured between the survey boundary lines. The boundary line defines the legal ownership of the property or development site. The development plot could either sit on a full lot or on a part lot. If there are areas within the development site to be vested to the State, for example for road widening or drainage purposes, these areas can be included as part of the development site for plot ratio calculation. Once these areas are vested to the state, they cannot be used for plot ratio calculation, subsequently.

4.2 Plot Ratio

The plot ratio of a site is defined as the ratio of the gross floor area of a building(s) to its site area.

4.2.1 Proposed plot ratio

The proposed plot ratio as declared by the qualified persons in the EDAform/application form. Generally, this plot ratio is not allowed to exceed the current Master Plan plot ratio.

4.2.2 Allowable plot ratio

The allowable plot ratio is the prescribed plot ratio in the current Master Plan.

4.2.3 Computation of plot ratio

Plot ratio = Gross Floor Area / Site Area

Building Height Plan

Areas with special height controls are depicted on the plan.

Areas without special height controls are subject to prevailing development control guidelines. For example, residential development will follow the GPR / Storey Height Typology for flats and condominium as shown in Table 1. For other land uses without stipulated building height controls, the permissible height will be subject to evaluation.

View Building Height Plan
Table 1: Standard GPR/Storey Height Typology for Residential Developments

Gross Plot Ratio Storey Height Control
1.4 5
1.6 12
2.1 24
2.8 36

Consideration on set-back if rebuilding the site.

Plot Ratio is relevant for Semi-D Hse and enbloc for old estate residential condo according with the revise Master Plan.

(The reason I posted the whole article here is so I have something to refer to in case the link failed to work)


Here are more reading materials I referred to... 
http://www.ura.gov.sg/MP2008/written_statement.htm
http://www.sg-house.com/classifieds/property-news-and-knowledge/1202732-what-does-plot-ratio-mean.html

In summary,

  • From the masterplan, seems like I'm right! That piece of land was planned for residential. Boo Hoo..:-( 
  • I'm glad they still keep the park atop the hill
  • Developers can built up to 24 storey high of flats.
  • Since it is taking them up till 3rd quarter year 2013 to complete the ground levelling job and usually takes about 3 years to complete residential project, probably the flats will be ready in another 4 years time?
  • Which means I have bad views for the next 4 years and have to prepare myself for all the construction noises in years to come. Uwaaaaaaaaaaa .... 

ps : I'm going to start tracking the changes.
ps : Its now 3:25am. I still can't sleep. I'm feeling uneasy now ... hmmm.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...